User EXEC mode limits access to some show and debug commands. It is the first
level of user interface encountered when configuring a router and is intended for investigation of
certain functions of the device. The User EXEC prompt is identified with the ">" symbol.
3. Which type of access is secured on a Cisco router or switch with the enable secret command?
A hostname can be configured with upper or lower case characters and should end
with a letter or digit, not a special character. A hostname should start with a letter and no space is
allowed for a hostname.
6. What is the function of the shell in an OS?
A. It provides dedicated firewall services.
B. It provides the intrusion protection services for the device.
C. It interacts with the device hardware.
D. It interfaces between the users and the kernel.
Most operating systems contain a shell and a kernel. The kernel interacts with the
hardware and the shell interfaces between the kernel and the users.
7. A router with a valid operating system contains a configuration file stored in NVRAM. The
configuration file has an enable secret password but no console password. When the router boots
up, which mode will display?
Changes to router and switch configurations take effect as soon as the command is
entered. For this reason, it is very important that changes to live production devices are always
carefully planned before being implemented. If commands are entered that render the device
unstable or inaccessible, the device may have to be reloaded, resulting in network downtime.
9. Which memory location on a Cisco router or switch will lose all content when the device is
Usually, changes are made to a running configuration in RAM and copied
to NVRAM. However, in this case, the technician wants to copy a previously saved
configuration from NVRAM into RAM in order to make changes to it.
11. Which functionality is provided by DHCP?
A. Automatic assignment of an IP address to each host
Context-sensitive help provides the user with a list of commands and the arguments
associated with those commands within the current mode of a networking device. A syntax
checker provides error checks on submitted commands and the TAB key can be used for
command completion if a partial command is entered.
13. Which memory location on a Cisco router or switch stores the startup configuration file?
The purpose of a subnet mask is to separate the network portion of the address from
the host portion of the IP address. The network portion of the IP address is identified by all
binary 1s in the subnet mask. Using a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 identifies the first two octets
of the IP address as the network portion.
15. Which access method would be most appropriate if you were in the equipment room with a new
switch that needs to be configured?
18. Which access method would be the most appropriate if you call your manager to tell him you
cannot access your router in another city over the internet and he provides you with the
information to access the router through a telephone connection?